We’re in the tail end of summer and up here in Canada, it’s already starting to feel like fall. Actually, I’ve seen some leaves on the ground and the weather has taken a brisk turn…
So with winter fast approaching it’s time to take advantage of what beautiful days are left.
A great way to do this is to take your workout outdoors. This can be a great way to shake up your gym routine and try out some exercises you may not have space or equipment to do.
From calisthenics to hill sprints, or even the monkey bars, there are loads up options when it comes to working out outdoors. Below is a small list of some great workouts you can have soaking up that vitamin D and catching the last of those summer rays whether on a park or just at your local greenspace.
HOW TO WORKOUT OUTDOORS
If you have a hill or a sports field nearby than you have tons of options when it comes to burning fat and building muscle. Some things you can do are;
- Sprints. Make use of the large space or a hill by running some sprints, either for time or for distance. This can be a great way to improve your speed and prime your body to burn fat for the rest of the day.
- Agility Drills. If you have an agility ladder or some small cones, set them up and run through some drills.
- Here is a link to some example exercises you can try –> Agility Ladder Drills
- Loaded Carries For Distance. If you have a kettlebell or even some dumbbells a nice field is a great place to train loaded carries. Pick a target in the distance, pick up the weight and try to make it there without lowering it.
- Animal Movements. Being outside taps into that primal human nature. Take advantage of it and have some fun with animal movements. These can increase muscle and burn fat while making you more mobile and coordinated.
- Check out our primer on this fun way to workout –> Becoming A Beast: Animal Flow Movements
If you’re lucky enough to have a fitness playground near your home, then you have everything you need for an awesome workout, these parks are meant for fitness. They include pull-up bars, push-up stations and a whole variety of other items to make an outdoor gym.
Check out this link to see if you have a fitness park near you–> Calisthenics Parks Near You
If you don’t have a fitness park near you, just a regular children’s playground than you will have to get a little more creative. Take a scan of what the playground has. Most likely it has a variety of bars, rings and flat platforms making it perfect for a calisthenics or bodyweight only workout.
Some ideas for this type of playground are;
- Pull-ups. Make use of the different types of bars around the playground, you may have to lift your knees to your chest if the bars are really low, but that just helps to work the abs as well!
- Step Ups. With different levels of platforms around you can utilize them to perform step ups.
- Tricep Dips. Using a bench or platform, perform some tricep dips.
As a bonus and extra challenge;
With a normal playground, literally just playing on it like a kid is a workout in itself.
Dionne and I take the niece and nephew to parks a couple times during the summer and trying to keep up with them is intense! You quickly realize you’ve lost quite a bit of mobility, agility, and balance compared to your younger self.
So take your kids, or babysit that niece or nephew and see if you can keep up with them at the playground, I promise you’ll be surprised with how difficult it is to keep up.
MAKE THE OUTDOORS YOUR GYM
By utilizing outdoor space you can have a great workout and enjoy the fresh air.
Whether through bodyweight, sprinting or bringing a couple weights from home – you can use movements and try exercises you may not normally be able to in the gym.
You might have to get a little creative but that helps to shake things up, and sometimes that’s all you need especially if your gym workouts have felt a little stale.
So grab that sunscreen, find a park nearby and get creative with your workouts!