Coming up with a blog name was quite difficult, but also fun.
Once we figured out exactly what we were going to be writing about, we needed to decide on a name that is a reflection of that content – or at the very least our personality.
We looked around to other bloggers for inspiration and found that a lot of our favorites used their own name in the title.
But that didn’t seem like the right fit for us since both Dionne and myself are contributing.
SO….the alternative was to come up with a combination of words that sound great and had the right “feel” for what we’re writing about.
THE HUNT FOR A NAME BEGINS
There are quite a few obstacles when coming up with a name;
- Come up with a name that reflects your content
- Reflects your personality
- Sounds good
- Looks good
- Is available as a domain
- No other brand or person in the same space using a version of your name
If even one of these doesn’t get a checkmark then it’s back to brainstorming.
Over the weeks we brainstormed ideas, words, themes, phrases, all in the hunt for that perfect name.
A couple we came up with but decided against;
- Union Ave. The idea being the blog was a union of both of our ideas and articles intersecting at the blog. Ultimately decided against as it was a bit “blah”. Didn’t really excite us hearing the name.
- Wild Tango. A result of sticking some words together that we thought sounded good. This was, in the end, voted down as it’s a little too feminine and we wanted a space that could speak to both men and woman. This one is actually still available as a domain for anyone wanting to use it.
The weeks went on and eventually, out of the blue, Dionne said, “what about trees & tides?”
I loved it.
My biggest fear was that it had been taken, that this music to our ears blog name was already in use and probably an amazing website!
So I checked, and the fear was real, it was taken…
The .com version.
BUT… throwing it into the search bar yielded nothing. It’s a site that is registered and bought, but not in use. So, living in Canada, the .ca version of Trees & Tides made sense for us.
We liked the name so much that we decided to pull the trigger and purchase it.
So now we have our name, Trees & Tides.
We found that Trees & Tides invoked the ideas we were trying to communicate;
- Inspiring a more active life – hiking in the forest, enjoying the beach and ocean
- Inspiring a more adventurous life – getting out in the wild and traveling
- Inspiring a more healthy life – living a healthy, sustainable life
Trees & Tides became a name that fits with our message and something we really loved.
It wasn’t until after a couple months that the name really started to inspire a more fundamental message for our blog.
Inspiring a more active, adventurous and healthy life is still our goal, our main mission. But behind it, there’s something even deeper.
A drive to inspire growth and change, on a personal level.
Growing as a person is the key to achieving happiness and sustaining it, and with that growth comes change. By learning new exercises, traveling to new destinations or learning delicious recipes you grow and change into a new, improved version of yourself.
As these themes became more apparent, Trees & Tides took on a whole new meaning.
GROWTH & CHANGE
Taking it in a more literal direction the Trees in our name symbolize growth. The growth of ourselves as we look to improve. Tides symbolize change. Every day is a fresh start, an opportunity to become the person you want to be.
These two forces work together to help us become the people we want to be, they are ideas to inspire us to reach our potential.
We originally chose Trees & Tides because we liked the look and sound of it and shaped the name to fit what we write about – a reflection of our live inspired message.
We didn’t know it at the time but Trees & Tides is a short-hand for our most basic fundamental message before we even knew how to describe it ourselves.
So what’s in a name? Well, it turns out everything!